Are you REALLY ROWING? If you are doing the training and getting on the water and doing the work you are just AMAZING! How many people are just seating and complaining and you are getting out there and doing it! Good for you! You also are trying to learn to do it the best you can and this is even better! You want to be the best you can be!
If your rowing coach is not reinforcing the hard work you are doing and giving you positive feedback for coming down and doing the work every day, you need to ASK HIM to change! He needs to reinforce his athletes and give them positive feedback!
Here are some tips and ideas you can look at and see if they are used on your daily training, if not you need to implement them by making that happen!
It is s important to receive positive feedback of what we do well and of our hard work. It is not a weakness, it is a reward to things done well and to our hard work. We are humans and as humans need positive reinforcement of our actions when we work hard for them and do the best we can. If you are not getting that you are not getting as motivated as you could be and you eventually might burn out and move to another activity where you feel better because you receive more positive feedback and get more rewarded for your efforts.
Positive feedback needs to be honest and genuine!
- Effective feedback always focuses on a specific behavior, not on a person or their intentions.
- The best feedback is sincerely and honestly provided to help. Trust me, people will know if they are receiving it for any other reason.
- Successful feedback describes actions or behavior that the individual can do something about.
- Whenever possible, feedback that is requested is more powerful. Ask permission to provide feedback. Say, “I’d like to give you some feedback about the presentation, is that okay with you?”
- Effective feedback involves the sharing of information and observations. It does not include advice unless you have permission or advice was requested.
- Effective feedback is well timed. Whether the feedback is positive or constructive provide the information as closely tied to the event as possible.
- Effective feedback involves what or how something was done, not why. Asking why is asking people about their motivation and that provokes defensiveness.
- Effective feedback is as consistent as possible. If the actions are great today, they’re great tomorrow.
- Feedback is communication to a person or a team of people.
- Positive feedback involves telling someone about good performance. Make this feedback timely, specific, and frequent.
- Constructive feedback alerts an individual to an area in which his performance could improve. Constructive feedback is not criticism; it is descriptive and should always be directed to the action, not the person.
-The main purpose of constructive feedback is to help people understand where they stand in relation to expected performance.
- Recognition for effective performance is a powerful motivator. Most people want to obtain more recognition, so recognition fosters more of the appreciated actions.